Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Rewind Back To Sea Games 2011

After reading the case in Jakarta regarding  the Blackberry chaos, my mind goes back to the incident happened before the final match for goal medal between Malaysia and Indonesia. A stampede that left two Indonesian fans died. The article from The Star revealed the statement AFC acting president that chided the organizer.

Asian football boss chides Indonesia over deaths
24 November 2011

KUALA LUMPUR: Asia’s football chief yesterday questioned Indonesia’s safety standards after a stadium stampede left two people dead at Monday’s SEA Games football final.

Asian Football Confederation (AFC) acting president Zhang Jilong (pic) called for a report from Indonesia after Monday’s tragedy, which also left a nine-year-old boy in a coma.

“We are very sorry to hear such bad news. All football matches should be made secure by all member associations,” Zhang said at the AFC headquarters in Kuala Lumpur.

The deadly crush happened when spectators broke through barriers at Jakarta’s sold-out, 90,000-capacity Gelora Bung Karno Stadium for the game between Indonesia and Malaysia, which the latter won on penalties.

“They should take care not only of the players on the field but also the fans who are so excited outside the field,” Zhang said, adding that spectators were packed into stairwells.

“So we should take action to ask the Indonesian football federation to give us a detailed report about this.”

Indonesian police have said they will investigate the fatal stampede, which came after tens of thousands of fans without tickets descended on the venue in central Jakarta. — AFP

However this was what the organiser said regarding the incident and the games as a whole. "We feel so sorry."  They believed that games was successful. And most importantly, please correct if I was wrong, no charges against the organiser for negligence although there were two people died. Please read the article from The Star below.

From shambles to tragedy
24 November 2011

JAKARTA: It started in a shambles and ended in tragedy, but Indonesian organisers of the SEA Games were adamant yesterdy their much-maligned hosting of the competition can be counted a success.

Two fans died and a boy was left in a coma at Monday night’s much-anticipated football final between the hosts and Malaysia after a stampede by crowds attempting to scramble into the packed central Jakarta stadium.

The terrifying episode cast a long shadow over a spectacular – and well-drilled – closing ceremony on Tuesday, capping a Games more remarkable for its chaos than the achievements of the region’s finest athletes.

“We feel so sorry,” said Rita Subowo, chairman of Games organisers Inasoc, of the tragedy that happened as at least 90,000 fans filled the Gelora Bung Karno Stadium for Monday’s showdown, which the hosts lost on penalties.

Tens of thousands of others were locked out and a crush ensued when a gate was briefly opened and fans attempted to barge into the already-full ground.

“It’s very difficult to control the number of people coming to the stadium, there were people without tickets. There were maybe half as many people waiting outside (about 45,000) as there were in the stadium.”

Police said they would “evaluate” the organisation of the Games in terms of the stadium, Inasoc and the policing, but stressed that it was not an official investigation.

“In our evaluation, we have to look at why so many tickets were sold. The stadium was over-capacity,” Jakarta police spokesman Baharudin Djafar said.

“It’s likely that the organisers double-sold tickets, or that there were fake tickets made.”

Throughout the 12-day competition, which was held in Jakarta and Palembang, Subowo had the unenviable task of defending the biennial event from a torrent of criticism.

She was frank about the problems encountered early on, such as venues not being ready, but said Inasoc had made up ground after a stuttering first two days.

“We understand the problems with the venues but once we fixed them, I think the athletes enjoyed the competition,” she said.

“It was a good Games. A lot of good things have happened too – there were lots of records and some very strong events.

“This was also the first time an event like this has been held in Palembang. Yes, there were mistakes but I think we moved on from them quickly.”

In an echo of India’s graft-tainted Commonwealth Games, the build-up to the competition was mired in scandal, after the ruling party’s treasurer allegedly pocketed US$3mil in bribes from a firm seeking tenders to build the athletes’ village, and then fled to Colombia with the spoils.

Subowo said the allegations had delayed the release of promised government funds to pay contractors, stalling construction of venues, infrastructure and accommodation.

The money was released after Subowo threatened to walk out of the Games – along with her team – just weeks before athletes were due to arrive in Indonesia.

The chaotic build-up saw Indonesian navy ships drafted in for extra bed space, while food poisoning laid low athletes from several nations staying in Palembang.

Media from the 11 nations taking part lambasted Indonesia for its fumbled handling of the preparations, but as golds accumulated the focus turned to the sport and the prospect of getting one over local rivals.

The hosts collected 182 golds out of the 554 available, in a bulging total medal haul of 476, topping the Games medals charts for the first time since 1997 – when they last hosted the competition.

Their success left 2009 winners Thailand trailing on 109 golds, with Vietnam further back on 96.

“Finally after 20 years we have won the most medals,” Subowo said. “After the problems we have had you cannot imagine how happy that has made Indonesians.” — AFP

No comments: