It will be the first time the two giants in English football have met since Luis Suarez was banned for eight matches for racially abusing Patrice Evra in the 1-1 draw in October 2011. Both team already eliminated the super rich City in two cups campaign. Liverpool a few days before held a 2-2 drew with the Citizen in second round semi final of Carling to see them to the final with aggregate 3-2. Meanwhile United eliminated City from FA Cup campaign after defeated their neighbor 3-2 in the third round.
Again it is a massive game with tense rivalry. Though the game between usually played in cautious styles with limited adventurous move and chances, it still massive game.
United are still plagued by a number of injuries going into this game and things got worst with Jones and Nani became the latest addition. Both were substituted because of injury against Arsenal, with the Portugal winger possibly out of action for two months with what may be ligament damage or a broken metatarsal.
Vidic is ruled out for the rest of the season while Ferdinand fitness is still in doubt, so it was unlikely Evra will be rested. Evans and Smalling will play as central defender with Rafael at the right. Again Valencia would hard to drop so he will keep the right wing position. With Nani injured Ji Sung Park will play at the left wing. Carrick will partner either Scholes or Giggs as central midfielders. Rooney and Welbeck again spearhead the attack.
- The last 7 times Liverpool and United have played in the F.A. Cup, the winning side has won by a single-goal margin and on 2 of those occasions after a replay.
- United have beaten Liverpool in 8 of the last 9 F.A. Cup ties, including twice after a replay and twice in the final.
- Liverpool have won 2 and lost 1 of the 4 F.A. Cup matches played at Anfield against United in the F.A. Cup.
- Chicharito has scored in both of his Anfield appearances
- Steven Gerrard has scored 3 times and has recived 1 red card in his last 4 matches against United.
- There have been 6 players sent off in the last 9 meetings between the two clubs in all competitions and 4 in the last 6 matches at Anfield.
- Fergie’s men have only lost one of their last 16 F.A. Cup ties away from home, and that was 0-1 v Liverpool at Anfield in 2006.